Chase Elliott calls out NASCAR for fining Ricky Stenhouse Jr., sharing video of fight – Generic English

Home » Chase Elliott calls out NASCAR for fining Ricky Stenhouse Jr., sharing video of fight – Generic English
Chase Elliott calls out NASCAR for fining Ricky Stenhouse Jr., sharing video of fight – Generic English
Associated media – Associated media

Chase Elliott, NASCAR’s most popular driver, had criticized NASCAR after the sanctioning body issued a record fine earlier this week to Ricky Stenhouse Jr. for his role in a brawl after the All-Star Race last Sunday in North Wilkesboro.

Elliott knew Stenhouse had been fined for throwing a punch at Kyle Busch, but the 2020 Cup Series champion didn’t know the exact amount before being informed during a news conference Friday at Charlotte Motor Speedway, the site of the Coca-Cola 600 on Sunday.

Stenhouse was fined $75,000, the largest fine issued in NASCAR history for a driver brawl. Elliott appeared incredulous upon learning the exact dollar figure.

“Seventy-five thousand? Wow,” Elliott said. “I heard he was fined, but I didn’t know he was fined $75,000.

“Yes, it’s a lot. That’s a lot of money. It seems crazy to me.

Elliott’s stunned reaction stems from the fact that NASCAR fined Stenhouse despite him actively sharing footage of the fight on his social media channels. What Elliott took exception to is what he sees as a double standard in which NASCAR publicized the fight multiple times, but not only penalized Stenhouse but did so by issuing a record fine.

“It seems like a lot for that situation,” Elliott said. “You will fine him, but will you promote him? Like, what are we doing? It’s a little strange to me.

«It takes a lot of money to fine a guy. It’s not good, but we’ll do it everywhere to get more clicks. I really don’t agree with that.”

Elliott isn’t the only driver to raise the issue. Daniel Suarez posted a similar sentiment on X.

“If this is so wrong, then why is everything on NASCAR social channels?” Suarez posted. “We should be allowed to show our emotions, I don’t understand.”

Stenhouse confronted Busch after the All-Star Race after Busch appeared to intentionally wreck him on the second lap of the non-points event for what Busch thought was an overly aggressive move on the first lap.

After the race, Stenhouse waited for Busch at Busch’s Richard Childress Racing transporter, a span of more than 90 minutes from the time he crashed until the collision. After Stenhouse and Busch had a brief, heated exchange of words, Stenhouse punched Busch in the head. This triggered a confrontation between their respective teams, which included Stenhouse’s father charging Busch and starting a physical fight between them.

Busch was not suspended for his actions. NASCAR has suspended Ricky Stenhouse Sr. indefinitely, while also suspending two members of Stenhouse Jr.’s JTG Daugherty Racing team, mechanic Clint Myrick for eight races and engine tuner Keith Matthews for four races.

While NASCAR hasn’t always penalized drivers who fight, the difference, NASCAR senior vice president of competition Elton Sawyer explained Wednesday, is that Stenhouse had ample time to cool down before starting the fight.

“I will say when you wait, you know, 198 laps and make the decisions that have been made, we will react to that,” Sawyer said on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio. “Different decisions could have been made.

“We want the two drivers to be able to have their time to express their differences. But again, once the situation escalates to the point where a physical altercation has occurred, we will react once again.

Busch was not penalized because NASCAR failed to determine that he intentionally wrecked Stenhouse.

NASCAR’s decision to suspend Stenhouse Sr. was consistent with NASCAR’s policy that non-competitors should not get involved in collisions.


Associated media – Linked media